Sunday, January 20, 2008

Un bon weekend :)

I spent such a long time talking about the European Parliment that I never got to the rest of my week... Most of it has been really good, even though I haven't been doing anything terribly exciting. Thursday I only had one class, and then went with a friend to this awesome place called Emaus, which is like a big indoor flea market/antique store. She wanted to buy a bike (so many people bike over here!), and I browsed the books. The mission of the place is pretty sweet too - it was founded by a Catholic group to create work for the poor. So it was pretty exciting to go there :) It was a bit frustrating to figure out how to get there on the transit system, but we ended up walking all the way back because they wouldn't let her bring her bike on the bus. It was a really nice walk - I love walking here! There's so much to see, and it never feels as long as it is :)

Friday wasn't as good of a day - I found out that someone from Oxford Circle who's been battling leukemia has stopped responding to treatment and there are no more options for him. I wasn't expecting that because he had been doing better, so I let the tears flow down by the river - a very comforting place. He is at peace and is ready to go, but my heart is breaking for his wife who will have to raise their two little boys alone. And I couldn't help asking God "why?" Why them, such wonderful people who've been so involved in the church? Why did this have to happen to them? It also made me think about my life - if I were dying, would I be able to look back on what I've done and see it as valuable? Have I used the time God has given me well? There are still so many things I want to do with my life, but I feel like so often I trap myself in a routine of obligations and responsibilities. From now on I want live more spontaneously and seize the moment and take advantage of opportunities! :)

Friday night I was feeling kind of down and didn't really feel like going out, but a bunch of the BCA students were getting together for drinks and movie, so I didn't want to be anti-social. I went, but the movie never happened and instead everyone got REALLY drunk. I had soda, and it felt pretty weird to be the only sober person in the room. I only stayed because I wanted to make sure the one girl was ok - she'd never been drunk before and was letting loose. Around midnight they were all plastered and decided to go to a club and dance. I parted ways at that point, disgusted with how stupid drunk people are. I really don't understand why people would want to drink so much that they make fools of themselves and do things that they'll later regret. I never want to be like that. I hated how my friends became totally different people when they were drunk - I really missed all my sober friends from home that night.

Saturday was a very productive day - I had made a long list of things to do and had the satisfaction of checking many of them off :) I finally finished unpacking all of my stuff, and I decorated my room with pictures - now it's finally starting to feel like home. It also feels nice to have settled into a routine with my host family - after class I go home and walk the dog, help get dinner ready, eat with them and talk about my day, watch the news, help clean up, and then go to the BCA office to use the internet. It's nice to have settled into that rythmn after feeling so out of place in the beginning.

This morning I went to a really great church with a friend. The people were very friendly - greeting us and asking where we were from, etc. There was a meal after the service that was free for students, so we stayed for that, and I really enjoyed talking to the people there. The man I was sitting next to spoke nice and slow and asked lots of good questions. I may visit other churches, but I'll probably end up back there. It was really encouraging to find a welcoming church :)

So that's about it - I need to get some sleep since I have class in 8 short hours :) Hope you all are well!

~Peace~
Amanda

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Amanda--so here I am, finally reading your blog again after not reading it for awhile. I'm so sorry to hear of how the BCA social scene is emerging there...I, too, find it sad when alcohol overtakes relationships so that anyone who isn't drinking feels completely out of place. It can be a lonely feeling, and I'm glad that you're finding some ways to deal with it maturely and with perspective. Glad, too, that you've found a welcoming church. Strength to you--we miss you at house church!